“Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful.” Thich Nhat Hanh
Lesson of the Week
Seeing as it’s the beginning of my summer, I’m taking a short break tonight to spend time with my family, my cats, and a good book. Take some time to enjoy the things that matter most in your life, those moments are rare and incredible.
Positive News of the Week
- The U.S. is close to full employment at a 4.4% unemployment rate, the lowest in more than ten years.
- Russia, Iran, and Turkey signed a memorandum to create four safe “de-escalation zones” in Syria, hoping to bring peace and growth to parts of the region.
- Apple plans to invest $1 billion in advanced manufacturing in the U.S. in an attempt to spur more jobs and invest in the local economy.
- Actor Kumail Nanjiani, a Muslim immigrant, breaks out in “The Big Sick,” upending Hollywood’s traditional view of a leading man.
- Hundreds of damaged instruments in the Philadelphia school system were going unused, but now some will be featured in the Symphony for a Broken Orchestra in October.
- Emmanuel Macron, the newly elected president of France, hopes to steady the rising anti-immigrant and anti-European Union sentiment in France through his centrist policies.
Challenges of the Week
- Internal Challenge ∅ This week, try to go on a date with yourself! Buy some flowers, see a movie, even just grab a quick lunch. Remember how great of company you can be to yourself.
- External Challenge ∅ This week, try to reach out to an extended family member, be it an aunt, uncle, cousin, even a nephew or niece. Family is important, even if we don’t see them every day.