“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” – Ernest Hemingway
Lesson of the Week
“Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work.” This quote by the painter Chuck Close has been on my mind all week, and I have a feeling it’ll stay there for many weeks to come. As a society, it seems we’ve created a church of intrinsic motivation, maybe because of our obsession with talent (from shows like The Voice and America’s Got Talent). I certainly have fallen into the trap of believing I need to feel inspired to do something in order for it to be good, or even just to do it in the first place. Yet, many of the best writers, athletes, and musicians gained their talent through years of experience. Everything in life takes work, and there are plenty of things that we don’t always feel like doing, but do anyways. A great example is going to the gym, because it’s so often put off by so many people, but when you do go to the gym, you almost always feel better afterwards. I think the same is true of most of the things we put off, that although you rarely feel like doing it, once you do it you’re glad you did! It’s a really difficult thing to remind yourself every day, but we’re all capable of incredible things, and sometimes it just takes a little getting to work.
Positive News of the Week
- SpaceX, owned by Elon Musk, successfully launched a satellite into space using a boost from a partly used rocket. The reuse of rockets or rocket parts could dramatically lower the cost of spaceflight in the future.
- Scientists believe they have discovered new facial features of the Tyrannosaurus’s face, like sensitive snouts and jaws.
- Volkswagen took another step towards fixing its emissions-cheating scandal by paying $157 million to settle environmental lawsuits in 10 states.
- This week North Carolina’s legislature passed a bill that repeals the “bathroom bill,” ending public bathroom rules preventing transgendered people from using the bathroom of their correct gender identity.
- The price of ivory has sunk over recent years, indicating less demand and better advocacy against elephant hunting.
Challenges of the Week
- Internal Challenge ∅ This week, try to push yourself to do something you’ve been putting off for days, weeks, maybe even months. Get it done and reward yourself after!
- External Challenge ∅ This week, try to introduce yourself to one new person, whether it’s in line at the grocery store, at work, in class, wherever!