“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
Lesson of the Week
If you love something let it go. This has a lot of finality to it, but it’s something we say to people when they’re scared of the finality of letting something go. Kinda stupid if you ask me. What no one really sticks around to tell you though, is that if you do let something go, often times it’ll come back. Anyone who’s ever owned a cat can tell you, if you let them be for a little while, they’ll get super needy and want attention, but you’ve got to give them that space. The same concept is why sometimes those you’ve drifted apart from will reach out months later. Next time you feel like you’re becoming stressed by a situation, or a person, and you can let it go for a little bit, try it. Give yourself, the project, or the other person space, and once you’ve had time to think and process, often times revisiting it will be better. But don’t forget that even when things do leave, they only leave space for new possibilities.
Positive News of the Week
- At the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, a team led by Dr. Radich has discovered a breakthrough leukemia testing technique, allowing blood tests to be cheaply shipped worldwide, making it easier for those in third world countries to be tested
- Jazmyn Benjamin recently got to meet Spike Lee and get film directing tips, an amazing opportunity following her time at the MSG Classroom, a high school organization aimed at providing special academic opportunities to low income students in New York
- Saturday, Gambians awoke to a new beginning. The erratic and violent President Yahya Jammeh was replaced by a moderate real estate agent, Adama Barrow, bringing hope to many groups who have been repressed the last 22 years
- After the devastating from the wildfires in Tennessee, shelters like the Sevier County Humane Society and the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine are working to reunite pets with their owners
Challenges of the Week
- Internal Challenge ∅ This week, meditate for 15 minutes. You don’t need music or a special app, just sit in a comfy position, and focus on your breathing.
- External Challenge ∅ This week, try to give 3 people you don’t know genuine compliments. Think of it as a free Christmas present you can give to anyone!